The Greek Alphabet
More Language Topics
More Topic Categories
Greek Letter Tau (Ταυ - Τ)
Greek and Latin "T", is taken from the Semitic languages which used a cross. Interestingly, some of the early Christian writers thought this letter has a special correlation with the Cross.
"Τ" Letter in mathematics and in science
- an interval of time
- a mean lifetime
- torque, the rotational force in mechanics.
- the elementary tau lepton particle in particle physics.
- the lifetime of a spontaneous emission process.
- the time constant of any device, such as an RC circuit.
- proper time in relativity.
- a coefficient of correlation - see Kendall's tau.
- the Golden ratio 1.618... (although φ (phi) is more common)
- Ramanujan's tau function in number theory.
- tau in astronomy is a measure of opacity, or how much sunlight cannot penetrate the atmosphere.
- tau in biochemistry is a protein associated to microtubules.
- shear stress in continuum mechanics.
- the number of divisors of highly composite numbers
- the prefix of many stars, via the Bayer stellar designation system.
Greek words with "τ"