Greek Letter Pi (Πι - Π)
The Semitic form probably had no meaning. The Greek form is used for the circumference of a circle with unit diameter. Why a version of this letter with the right upright rounded became the Roman "P", matching the Greek letter for "R", is anybody's guess.
"Π" Letter in mathematics and in science
- the product operator in mathematics.
- a plane
- Archimedes' constant, the ratio of a circle's circumference to its diameter
- the prime counting function
- profit in microeconomics and game theory
- inflation in macroeconomics, expressed as a constant with respect to time
- the state distribution of a Markov chain
- a type of covalent bond in Chemistry (Pi bond)
- a pion (pi meson)
Greek words with "π"